Friday, March 30, 2007

Dieting

What are the odds? I had a trip to the ER today. I had the brilliant idea to try NutriSystem to help me lose weight. I figured it was a fool proof plan....the meals were all there, I just had to pick which one I wanted for that specific meal. No thinking of healthy foods to eat, just focusing on my school work. (Only 38 days until the final, by the way!!!!) Today was my second day eating their stuff. I ate their chicken salad on melba toast today for lunch. Approximately 1/2 hr later I noticed my scalp was extremely itchy. Then I happened to look down at my arms and saw big welts forming. Then I looked in my rearview mirror and saw my neck was covered in hives and my face was starting to itch and turn red as well. I quickly stopped by Stop & Shop and picked up some Benedryl (the kind you put on your tongue to dissolve....I figured the quicker it gets in my system the better). I quickly called my doctor/boss and he told me to take 2 and call him if it wasn't better in 10 minutes. I continued to drive home and by then my tongue was starting to swell and my chest was feeling tight. The itching was getting progressively worse and my face was all red & puffy. So, I took a detour to Putnam Community Hospital ER. After 2 1/2 hrs in the ER, 500 mL of saline, 50 mg of Zantac, 125 mg of Solumedrol and a nebulizer treatment of Albuterol & Atrovent I was released. Thank God for the TV in the room - it helped pass the time! The whole episode was definitely scary! (Side note: my dad has been rushed to the ER on several occasions for anaphlyaxic reactions and I don't want that to be handed down to me via his wonderful genes!) As soon as I got home I called NutriSystem and cancelled my account and got the okay for a refund (after I send it all back). I'm sure the shipping isn't gonna be cheap....imagine....a huge box filled with 5 weeks worth of food! Oh well....at least I'm not trached and on a vent somewhere!! :) Oh....and I'm STARVING!!!! Thankfully I have lots of fruits and veggies to eat!!

2 comments:

Patrina Martin said...

Girl, that's like scary!! Definitely not worth a couple of pounds! Stay healthy and I'll see ya in a couple of months! Love ya~ Me

Patrina Martin said...

hey~ you definitely need to update!!! I was thinking maybe some pics from Easter????? neways, hope studying is going good! later~ me